When it comes to what's trending in our children's world right now, hoverboards for kids are at the top of the list! Owning their very own hoverboard may be your child's dreams for the new year. Getting a chance to zoom around in style with their friends would definitely be one of the highlights of the year for your child. And there are lots of cool options that will up the fun level as well. But for most of us non-techy parents, picking the best hoverboard for kids can feel incredibly daunting.
In fact, when my nephew first mentioned a hoverboard, I had to go google to even know what exactly he was talking about. My exposure to these trendy new gadgets was limited to a couple of movies over the years and I had no idea what to look for when picking out a hoverboard suitable for a preteen child! A quick search on amazon brought up a plethora of options in every color and with flashing lights, and even some that lit up to the rhythm of favorite beats. Trying to figure out battery charge time, speed options and all of the more technical aspects of choosing a quality hoverboard was starting to make my head spin. Have any of you felt that way??
Well, I have GOOD NEWS for you. I took everything I researched on the best hoverboards for kids and I'm putting it all right here. I've put together a list of all the best kids hoverboards that parents and hoverboard enthusiasts have given high ratings for style, safety and that are great for beginners. I've compiled some of their top features so that you can take a glance down the list and quickly determine which models you want to look into for making your hoverboard loving child's biggest dreams come true this year!
There are some incredibly awesome electric hoverboards and electric scooters on the market now. You may find them on your most wanted Gifts for 10 year old boys in your house and they make some of the best gifts for 12 year old boy as well.
From simple self balancing hoverboards that are easy for beginners to use, to ones with lights and music and all the bells and whistles, there is something for everyone. And almost all of them are app-enabled, which is a fancy way of saying that you can use an app to customize certain settings and the way your child's hoverboard works.
And there are dozens of colors and patterns available on the hoverboard body, which makes it easy to choose your child's favorite colors or for your kids to tell them apart if you have more than one child with a hoverboard.
Buying a hoverboard for kids is an investment that can pay off in hours of fun for them and for you! They are incredible for learning balance and can be another way to get fresh air and encourage less screen time.
But before you bite the bullet and pick out the best hoverboard for kids to bring home, you'll want to make sure you go over these important criteria for buying hoverboard so that the one you choose is durable, safe, and easy for your children to use.
In this guide, I have made choosing the best hoverboard easy for you by:
- Sharing everything you will want to look for to pick a hoverboard for kids that is right for their size and abilities.
- Covering some top hoverboard safety tips.
- Featuring just the top-rated, most raved about hoverboards for kids on the market. There are tons of other options out there, but these are the ones that have gotten the best reviews and recommendations from parents who have already taken the leap into hoverboard ownership for their kids.
- All of these particular versions of the hoverboard on Amazon will make shopping a breeze! You don't have to visit dozens of sites or stores to find the one that's good for you!
How to Pick the Best Hoverboards for kids
Before I share with you all the BEST Hoverboards on Amazon that you are going to absolutely love, let's go over a couple of pointers for picking out a hoverboard that's suitable for your child so that they can get the most out of their device!
- Look at Age limits: Before you look at all the features of a particular model, take a moment to check the age and weight recommendations. Most manufacturers recommend hoverboards for children six and over. While occasionally younger children may be able to meet the weight and height requirements, it's good to check the brand you are interested in for any requirements so your child can ride safely. Some of them
- The weight matters: When shopping for a hoverboard for children, it's important to pick one that is lightweight. Experts recommend that you pick one that is right around 20 lbs, but not over so that it's easy for your child to pick up and carry when they want to use it. It will also make it easier for them to maneuver since their bodyweight is less.
- Check the wheel size: You will want to look for smaller wheel sizes when you are shopping for hoverboards for kids. It's best to aim for a 6.5 ” wheel size or less for children as not only does it cut down the weight but it's much easier for children to handle hoverboards with smaller wheels as well!
- Don't aim for high-speed hoverboards: While your older child or teen may get a huge kick out of a more speedy hoverboard, it's best to start a beginner or child on something that moves a little slower and more steadily. The best kid-friendly versions of the hoverboard have a maximum speed that is slower than the adult versions and have a smaller drive range. If you are shopping for a teen, the adult-sized hoverboards will be the best option, but stick with the slower ones for the smaller kids!
The Best Hoverboards for Kids
Now that we know what to look for, let's dive right into the top 6 hoverboards for kids on the market in 2020!
1. Razor hovertrax — best overall hoverboard for kids
According to multiple sources, the Razor Hovertrax 2.0 hoverboard is one of the best hoverboards for kids. When it comes to technology, Razor has long held the confidence of parents around the world as a reliable, trustworthy source for tech toys and gadgets. With their EverBalance technology, it makes it super easy for your child to mount and dismount their new hoverboard without it tipping or making them lose their balance as they learn the ropes of riding. It's one of the top reasons that this hoverboard is one of parent's highest-rated picks for beginners and a popular hoverboard for children. Razor has stellar customer service and builds their devices to be easy for beginners, safe and sturdy, so they'll be able to use their new hoverboard for years to come. and I feel confident in saying that if you pick the Razor Hovertrax you will have chosen a real winner for your child to ride!
2. Segway Mini Pro —best hoverboard for beginners
This hoverboard comes with features that make it a great pick for your older child or teen. It's Smart, Self balancing technology offers a learning mode that will limit the maximum speed to just under 5 mph until the New Rider Tutorial is completed. Once you've mastered the basics of safe hoverboard riding and maneuvering, you can increase your speeds up to a top speed of 10mp, which is one of the faster options! This hoverboard offers a lot of fun customizations to the lights and colors, and has a few modes you can choose from as well. Great for any kid 10 and up who wants to try their hand at hoverboarding this year!
Note: This hoverboard is a bit larger, and not best for smaller children.
3. TOMOLOO Hoverboard Music Rythmed Self Balancing Scooter
If you have a child who likes to move to the music, THIS is the hoverboard that will make their entire year. Not only does it offer all of the usual features that you'll want to look for in a self balancing electric hoverboard, but it has everything your child will want to get groovy. It features a fantastic amount of LED lights, a surround sound stereo experience and comes equipped with Bluetooth 4.o technology. This is the coolest hoverboard on the block, and has tons and tons of rave reviews! Some of the fun features of this board that make it a little different from some of the other customizable LED lights are that the lights will sync up with color changes, twinkles and dance in rhythm to the music your child selects. You can't beat it for style and fun!
You can cruise for around six miles on a single battery charge, which is pretty awesome for a hoverboard with all of these lights and music features. Another huge plus that makes it a favorite hoverboard for kids is it is incredibly lightweight: just 17 pounds!. I think it's safe to say that choosing this hoverboard is guaranteed to win you the “most awesome gifter ever” title.
4. Swagtron Hoverboard — longer ride time on a single charge
This hoverboard is a great option if you are looking for something that can be ridden for longer periods of time on a single battery charge. This is a good pick for multiple ages and sizes because it offers several different modes that depend on skill level. It is another lightweight device so it's not difficult for your kids to pick up and carry with them to a safe riding location. And it has a powerful motor that will carry your child uphill with ease. It's still app-enabled to play your favorite tunes as you ride, and you can do some customization to the color of the lights. The big selling point for most is that you can run it for an impressive 11 miles run time on a single charge!
5. Gyroor Warrior —best off-road hoverboard
You don't have to live in a paved area in order to let your kids get in on the fun of riding and owning a hoverboard! Gyroor has created a hoverboard specifically for offroad riding with special features that allow your child to still have a comfortable, safe ride on all terrain types. One of the main differences in this hoverboard is how the tires are built. Most hoverboards can't handle even gravel without tipping and spinning out. But the Gyroor Warrior is made for all kinds of terrain with special rubber tires for smoother riding and a suberb balancing system to keep steady and safe riding even on rougher, gravel or uneven terrain. There is even a special one-touch child mode to make it safer for smaller children, and it's easy to convert between child and adult mode which makes it an ideal pick for your kid to grow with over the years.
6. CHO Hoverboard — best hoverboard for toddlers
It's difficult to find a hoverboard that is specifically listed as toddler-friendly, though some children will have no problem with figuring out the balance needed to ride one safely. When I researched the best hoverboard for toddlers, most people recommend choosing electric scooters before the age of 5. However, if you think your child is ready for a hoverboard, several people recommended CHO's hoverboards for very young children. They are super lightweight, have a solid gripping service and move a little slower to provide extra safety for your smaller children as they learn to balance and ride. The prices are also reasonable, so it makes it a great place to start.
7. VEVELINE Hoverboard for Kids — hoverboards under $100
While most of the top-rated hoverboards are going to run a bit higher in price, if you are looking for hoverboards under $100, Amazon's choice is this VELELINE hoverboard for kids. It offers a quick learning system and self-balancing like many of the other top picks, and is a great place to start if you want to try out a hoverboard but aren't sure you want to invest as much as the best hoverboards for kids cost.
Hoverboard Safety Tips and Frequently Asked Questions
If you are like me and are wondering “How do I select a safe hoverboard?”, here is what experts say about how to find and use a hoverboard safely!
- Buy a quality hoverboard by a manufacturer you can trust. There are a LOT of knock-offs hoverboards on the market. Even if they look to be legit, sometimes it's not worth the few dollars savings you might get to buy something that's off-brand. Read reviews and do some research on the company if you aren't sure, but always remember that quality is an investment worth making when it comes to picking the best hoverboard for kids.
- Make sure that the device is UL-certified, which means it has been tested for combustion risks and is registered as having passed all safety guidelines and requirements.
- Wear proper safety gear. When you buy a hoverboard for your child, pick up the proper safety gear (a quality helmet, elbow, and knee pads are essentials.) and require your child to wear them EVERY TIME they ride their hoverboard.
- Ride it according to your manufacturer's instructions. Each hoverboard may have specific instructions on how to use them in order to have an experience that is safe for the user and the equipment. Read the instruction manual carefully before you use your hoverboard and make sure to always follow those guidelines!
- Practice indoors and go slowly. Before your child zips around the neighborhood or the drive with their new device, give them some practice time indoors and at a low speed. Many brands offer a learning mode which will aid in making sure you can get used to how the hoverboard functions before you hit the streets!
- Don't leave the hoverboard charging unattended. While many things are made to stop consuming power once they are fully charged, it's not clear whether larger devices like the hoverboard can be left plugged into the charger indefinitely. For this reason, safety experts do not recommend leaving your hoverboard to charge overnight or while unattended. Plug it in and set a timer to check it at the specific time in the manual that the battery should be completely charged so you can unplug it.
Your Questions Answered:
- How far can you go on one charge on a hoverboard?This varies widely between the different models and brands of hoverboards on the market, but the average distance runs right around 6 miles, with the longest range hoverboard being close to 11.
- Can I use a childs hoverboard?Most hoverboards are suitable for both adults and children, though you will want to make sure to read the weight limits to ensure that you can safely ride the smaller hoverboard that you may have purchased for your child.
- How difficult is it to ride a hoverboard?Hoverboarding takes learning the proper balance and there is a learning curve to figure out how to maneuver smoothly. But most riders say that with just a little practice, your child will quickly learn the skills needed and will be able to ride without a lot of time on the board.
- Are hoverboards waterproof?The short answer is no. Some hoverboards are water-resistant, which means riding with a little rain won't hurt them. But currently, no hoverboards are made to go into the water so you should avoid large puddles or anything that would potentially submerge your board.
Leave a Reply