Are you shopping for a 12 year old boy?
If you’re here, I am guessing so. And I have been all year, too – we have a 12 year old boy, nephews of the same age and of course birthday parties for numerous twelve year old boys throughout the year that our son was invited to.
I’m guessing you’re also quite exhausted (there are so many options!) But, I bet there’s a good chance that you’re also looking an inexpensive gift ideas for 12 year old boy … they can be so pricey to shop for – it seems like everything is over $100!
My goal in this post was to look for cool toys for 12 year old boys and gifts for 12 year old boys that are reasonably priced but will still keep their attention. Because we shouldn’t have to go broke finding cool toys for 12 year old boys, right??
Best Gifts for 12 Year Olds Boys that Won’t Break the Bank
So I mentioned that this is the place to be if you’re wondering “what’s a good affordable gift for a 12 year old boy for Christmas”. Right??
* Affordable being the keyword – Ha! Whether it’s a gift for Christmas, birthday, a just because or maybe even a gift for passing some tough exams, I’m glad you’re here.
I’ve done my best to round up the very best gifts for boys age 12 that they’ll love that are friendly on the wallet, too!
Just in case you have different ages to buy for, check out my other gift guides!
Solo play toy ideas for 12 year old boys:
Would the 12 year old boy in your life rather lead than follow? If so, this app-enabled robot is the perfect gift idea. The grip tires are perfect for off-road traction or they can remove them to drift on smooth surfaces at speeds of up to 14 miles per hour – wow! Worried about the robot breaking?
Don’t be — Ollie’s durable shell means you don’t have to worry about crashing and built-in LEDs let him drive the robot at night.
Boys on the move need this!
Adams Cube combines six games in one and is perfect for busy hands. Each side of this translucent cube offers a new challenge, as players attempt to arrange the five puzzle pieces within a polygon frame.
Worried about game pieces being everywhere? Don’t be!
Moms will love the fact that the games pieces and instruction booklet can be stored inside the cube for the next round of play.
Need a rainy day toy that the 12 year old in your life can actually “play” with? This might be considered a “one and done” toy – but I can guarantee you that it will be a fun experience while it’s being done! 4. Wham-O Hamper Hoops
I cannot be the only mom of a 12 year old boy that struggles getting her son to put his laundry in the hamper, can I?? No!
I know for a fact that I’m not and I also don’t know a mom that wouldn’t love to have her son get this hamper as a gift. (hint, hint to my friends!)
Madden NFL 20 is the talk of all of the 12 year old boys! And, if you’re on the fence of NBA 20 and NFL 20, it’s a hard pass on the NBA and a 100% go on the NFL (yes, even for basketball fans!)
Kids can compete in the ultimate NFL fantasy team building mode featuring your favorite NFL players from the past and present and kids can compete in head-to-head online and offline games or single player offline against the CPU. It’s a great “toy” the 12 year old boys can “play” with.
6. Wireless Stereo Gaming Headset Boys love their video games, there’s no doubt about that! Let him stay at the top of his game and communicate clearly with his team with the PDP LVL50 Wireless Headset.
This gaming headset is designed for just – competitive gaming. They’ll also love the crystal clear sound.
7. MERGE Cube Augmented Reality Let them play with their hands while their minds are in a whole different universe, right? Kids will love finding free and paid educational games to use with their Merge Cube at Miniverse online.
They’ll be able to dig up a dinosaur, solve a virtual Rubik’s Cube, and even build a Minecraft world.
It’s like an interactive video game where kids are using their hands and their brains at the same time! 8. 5,000 Awesome Facts
Does the boy in your life love to know it all? That’s a great characteristic to feed! In this book, kids will learn more about dessert, underwear, amusement parks, pirates, famous criminals, marsupials, Ancient Egypt, famous landmarks, you name it!
This is a great way to get a pre-teen reading when that hasn’t always been their first love!
A 12 year old wants independence, but we still need to keep tabs on them, right? What a perfect way for them to know when to come back home than a waterproof watch that they can get rough and tumble with?
They can wear this watch while exercising, cleaning, swimming at the beach or doing yard work. If there is a downside to this watch, it’s that they can’t press any buttons under water, but for the price, it’s a real winner!
What a way for a boy to unleash in a productive way!
This all-encompassing drum set includes 1 snare, 3 toms, 1 crash, 1 ride, 1 hi-hat, 2 foot pedals 5 timbres, 8 demo songs and 3 rhythms. And, don’t worry moms!
There is an earphone jack – by wearing a set of headphones while they play, they can be as quiet as a church mouse while rocking out like they’re playing Madison Square Garden.
Even cooler, kids can connect the drum to computers to produce music or play games, making something even more cool!
Boys love having their music – it’s all about finding themselves and gaining their independence. This very highly rated bluetooth speaker will get them well on their way.
And, this speaker is boy-proof, too! It’s splash proof, rainproof and even dustproof. Perfect for the beach, poolside, golf cart, park and anywhere else they find themselves.
The battery power isn’t too shabby either. They’ll be able to play from morning ’till night with 14 hours of playtime. Connect with Echo Dot, Echo Dot 3rd Gen, Echo, Echo Plus, iPhone 6, iPhone 7, iPhone 8, iPhone X, iPad, Samsung Galaxy 8, Samsung Galaxy 9, Samsung Note, Smartphones, Laptops, computers, Mac, and all other Bluetooth devices, as well.
Boys will be boys and this is a toy for these boys! The Altair 818 Hornet remote control beginner drone gets 15 minutes of flight time per battery and comes with 2 batteries in the box which gives you twice the flight to enjoy with your friends and family before recharging!
Kids will love this drone – it’s very stable in the air because it has altitude hold and 1 button take off and landing to keep things simple so it’s great for kids, beginners & the whole family! Plus, they can take live video and photography in first person view with a headset or your phone or tablet!
13. Blank Comic Book It’s so good for kid’s imaginations to run wild and that is exactly what this unique gift idea will do!
This blank comic book journal is perfect for both kids and adults! They’ll get over 100 pages of blank comic book scenes ready to fill. The paper is high quality 60# grade and is printed on a fun matte cover. Great for long roadtrips coming up, too! 14. Thames & Kosmos My Robotic Pet The Thames & Kosmos brand has been around forever and everything it makes has fantastic reviews! This specific kit has 172 building pieces to construct your own adorable robotic pet Hedgehog! How fun! Do you have boys ( and girls! ) begging for a pet?? The robot even has a built-in sound sensor, allowing the Hedgehog to react to different patterns of claps. It can tumble, roll, spin around, Bristle its spines, and scurry along in response to kid’s claps! This could actually be even more fun than a real animal! 15. National Geographic Kids Why?: Over 1,111 Answers to Everything Kids love to know alll the things, right? Give them the answers! Here’s what the book description says: Want to know why your snot is yellow? Flip to the human body chapter. What’s on the inside of a turtle shell? The animal section’s got you covered. What’s in the deepest part of the ocean? Why doesn’t Earth just float off into space? Check, check, and check. In this book they’ll find answers to all sorts of questions from serious to very silly! Their new found facts will be sure to keep any dinner table entertained!
Group play toy ideas for 12 year old boys:
1. Altair Aqua Fast Remote Control Boat How fun is this! And, very different than a regular land remote control toy! The Altair Aqua Remote Control Boat can reach speeds of up to 18 miles per hour – great for the pool at the lake or on a river! In case you’re concerned about the propeller, there is a feature that doesn’t allow the propeller to turn unless the boat sensors detect that it’s in water. It seems that Altair has thought of everything, too – the Anti-Capsize Hull makes that boat right itself if ever it flips upside down, and with the Out of Range Alarm and Low Battery Alarm you’ll never have to worry about losing your ship out to sea. I can see this being a really fun toy for the entire family! 2. Kids Magnetic Dart Board Get this! All the fun of classic darts without harm to walls, pets, or people! Let the boys be boys without sharp objects, right? Instead of sharp points, the darts feature powerful magnets to ensure that they stick to the board, every time! With this game they’ll learn coordination and have fun (maybe even with siblings!) while parents have no worries about the safety of kids or furniture. 3. Ravensburger Jaws Board Game Ravensburger is known for making toys and puzzles that are good quality and last forever. In this asymmetric style of game play boys can either play as the shark or cooperatively as a member of the crew. Each game will be different as the results of act 1 will affect act 2 either in the crews favor or the shark. Play is around 60 minutes making the game a perfect break from playing outside. I’m sure after playing the game they’ll want to throw in its namesake classic movie (found here) 4. Spikeball 3 Ball Kit The popular show Shark Tank does it again! Whether boys are playing in the yard, on the beach, or at a tailgate, this game will be a hit with every boy! The game is a 2 on 2 outdoor or indoor sports game with rules kind of like volleyball. Plus, if you purchase from Spikeball here and anything breaks, they’ll replace it free of charge, forever. Sweet! 5. Betheaces Hover Soccer Ball Set Another game to play with friends! This Betheaces Hover Soccer Ball Set offers endless fun — with 2 portable goals, it’s like building a soccer field at home. The air power soccer disk will provide hours of dynamic high-tech soccer action and is fun for Christmas, Birthday parties, Weddings, the playground, picnics, and more! 6. Diggin DodgeTag Game Set Need a game that can burn some energy? This is your best buy! Players throw balls and try to stick them to opponent’s tag vest – no wonder it’s a winner of the family fun T.O.Y. Award, parent magazine Best toy Award and the learning express best boys toy and fun fare best toy Award. I mean, what kids don’t like to throw things at their family and friends for fun?? There are two vests in each set, so round up if you have more than two players. 7. Kan Jam USA Game Similar to Spikeball, Kan Jam is a beach, backyard, picnic kind of game. Players goal is to get the frisbee like “ball” in the “kan” and parents will love that it’s easy to pack and even easier to set-up. 8. Best Choice Products Best Choice is bringing their best A game with this toy! The competition-sized foosball table brings fun to any setting, perfect for home game rooms, arcades, and other entertainment areas where boys gather. Players have 4 rows per team, with 11 red players and 11 white players, as well as a cup holder on each end to stay hydrated when competition heats up. If you’re worried about rambunctious boys, this game room classic is crafted with sturdy composite wood and chrome-finished steel rods to keep the table functioning for years of memories to be made. 9. Franklin Sports Kids Folding Hockey 2 Goal Set You’re likely wondering how this folding hockey set made it’s way onto a gift guide for 12 year old boys – fair enough, fair enough. Ever heard of knee hockey? No?? Well, it’s a miniture version of hockey, and bound to be fun for boys! Along with the regular sticks, this set include 2 easy-fold kids hockey goals, 2 knee hockey sticks, 1 street hockey ball AND 2 foam knee hockey balls – FUN! 10. Franklin Sports Table Tennis to-Go Short on space, or want something fun to whip out when boys get bored? Just bring the players and pick a table for an instant table tennis or ping pong game. This set includes 2 paddles, 2 balls, and net everything you need for an exciting game! There’s also a drawstring mesh bag that holds everything neatly and securely, so you can take it anywhere for instant fun for the whole family – or all the boys!
11. SKLZ Pro Mini Basketball Hoop The Pro Mini Hoop isn’t just similar to real hoops, it’s got the same soul and boys LOVE this! They’ll play on this for hours!!! 12. Kanoodle Genius He’ll solve 2-D and 3-D puzzles by rearranging game pieces. Pick a puzzle from the book, set up the challenge, and then place the remaining game pieces to solve the puzzle. Kanoodle genius offers 200+ brain-busting puzzles for you to solve all on your own. If you’ve completed the puzzles of the original Kanoodle, you’ll love the even more challenging Kanoodle genius. You’ll feel yourself getting smarter!
Ideas for the best meaningful gift for 12 year old boy:
1. myCharge Portable Charger Power Bank In most homes the kids get the hand me down phones from their parents as the parents upgrade phones (this is what we do too!) The one complaint most smartphone users can agree on is the need for more battery life. The myCharge HubPlus Turbo is the first charger to feature both Power Delivery and Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0, which provides a recharge that is 75% faster than using a power block so the boys can get back to doing what they do – and also have no excuse to not text mom. Another upside is that this charger comes with an Apple Lightning and USB-C charging cords as well as built-in wall prongs on the back to directly recharge the unit. 2. NFL Team Decal Support the 12 year old boy in your life by giving him gear from his favorite team! These decals are pretty non-invasive making them a great non-permanent solution as opposed to other decorations. With this purchase he’ll get three adhesive decals featuring team colored graphics. 3. DIMY Bike Wheel Light Show the twelve year old boy in your life that you love him so much, you want to keep him safe riding too and from friend’s houses at night. The DIMY LED bike wheel light string is flexible, waterproof and can be bent to make any shape you like. What’s nice about this brand is that the LED lights can be seen from all angles, not just from the side. 4. Guy Stuff: The Body Book for Boys I don’t know about you, but age 12 was the age where I started getting some pretty off the wall questions. And, while I’m glad our son came to me to get his questions answered, it would have been great to have a book like this to give him! This book touches on all things boys, boys and more boys. From hair care to healthy eating, bad breath to shaving, acne to voice changes, and everything in between.The tips and facts come from a real pediatrician, so it’s the perfect book to help boys learn about their body’s changes. 5. Nike Hoodies Can boys ever have enough hoodies in their life? The answer is a resounding “no”! And, there are loads of Nike hoodies available here right now! 6. Tenergy Bluetooth Beanie Cable Knit Is it chilly where you are? Let the boy in your life play outside and stay warm with this bluetooth beanie cable knit hat! He’ll be able to connect wirelessly to his smartphone and devices that have Bluetooth capability. The built-in stereo speakers provide clear crisp sound and allow him to listen to music, watch videos and movies and listen to phone calls hands-free! Even sweeter, a microphone is attached to the earpiece too! Moms, don’t worry – washing the beanie is a breeze, simply remove the earpieces and wash the beanie any time. 7. Kids Against Maturity Need to do some reverse psychology with your teen? This is the way! Kids Against Maturity is the perfect parental tool to approach playtime and family time with age-appropriate toilet humor and funny innuendos for the adults, that can be enjoyed by all ages. Each player gets 10 white answer cards and takes turns asking the blue question cards. Each question asker chooses the funniest answer, and the player with the highest amount of most amusing responses, wins the game. 8. Difficult Riddles For Smart Kids This fun and unique gift idea is meant to make children think and stretch their minds. They are designed to test logic, lateral thinking as well as memory and to engage the brain in seeing patterns and connections between different things and circumstances. This is a book that will stretch their thinking and also be fun for the entire family. 9. The Mug With A Hoop Does the 12 year old in your life like to play all.the.time?? This is the gift idea for that 12 year old! Show him you care by giving him a gift where he’ll be able to toss marshmallows into cocoa, crackers into soup, or toppings onto ice cream with this fun cup that allows him to do just that: play with his food! Fun fact: This was invented by a boy around 12 years of age! 10. Cathedral Art This Too Shall Pass Soothing Stone Whether it’s new classes, types of homework, crushes or new sports teams, buys this age can face change in different ways. This Cathedral Art stone is a rubbing stone of sorts to give him comfort when he needs it most. 11. My Cinema Lightbox – The Original LED Marquee Lightbox Let him use the lightbox to dis[lay words or feelings that are important to him, or use as a decoration in his room. Phrases like Just Do It, Be Awesome, etc. will all be great motivators in his room.
12 Year old boy gift ideas that are over $75:
1. Apple AirPods with Charging Case Get him the gift of music – what every boy wants! Airpods are automatically on, and automatically connected to the iPhone, iPod or even android devices. He’ll have quick access to Siri by saying “Hey Siri” and checking on game scores, or the weather forecast and can double-tap to play or skip forward, too. Fun and handy for an independent 12 year old boy! 2. Altair Camera Drone Let him slip into another point of view with the Altair Camera Drone. The HD camera takes amazing photos and videos in birds eye view right from your phone, is easily piloted & has a headless mode, altitude hold & 1-button takeoff & landing. This is a Great drone with camera for kids, beginners and pro pilots, easy to fly indoors as well. 3. Self Balancing Hoverboard Scooter Let boys push their indepence by hovering around the neighborhood on this highly rated hoverboard. Kids will love the built-in wireless speaker that can be easily connected to portable devices in seconds, to let him enjoy his favorite music or books without wearing headphones. This hoverboard is designed for beginners and amateurs of all types to have a new mode of transportation. Don’t worry moms, this hoverboard has passed strict electrical tests and meets UL2272 standards as well. 4. Ripstik Caster Board The Ripstik is a staple among all of the neighborhood kids and mine are no different! You know how sometimes you only need to buy one toy – and your kids grow out of it before it wears down? This Ripstik is not that toy! Hours and hours and hours of use from being one of the favorite outdoor toys will make this a staple at any boys house! ** Some kids (mine!) in particular like the smaller Ripstik, so be sure to take a peek at that here, too! And moms, I know this looks scary – but it is SO fun for the kids and it will help build their core muscles preventing back injuries – win-win!
$150+ 12 year old boy Christmas gifts and ideas:
1. Gotrax Scooter Version 2 This is Gotrax’ most powerful scooter yet, with a top speed of 15.5MPH and a maximum weightof 220 lbs.! Boys will love that it travels up to 9-12 miles and recharges in about 4 hours, which is excellent! Moms and dads will love that the frame folds down and locks for easy storage making it a perfect commuting scooter! 2. Louisville Slugger UPM 45 Blue Flame Pitching Machine I don’t know a baseball player that wouldn’t love to have a pitching machine at their disposal. And, at this price, a boy can actually have this as a big gift or if family members go in on it together – and at this age, that would be much appreciated! 3. Upriser Ducati Panigale V4 S Remote Control Motorcycle Our 12 year old son will occasionally let the word “Ducati” escape from him and I am thinking that he must be thinking this Ducati, right?! For sure! Because look at how much fun this is! 4. Nintendo Switch Whether he’s at home or on the go, solo or with friends, the Nintendo Switch system is designed to fit his life. He can dock the Nintendo Switch to enjoy HD gaming on his TV or is he’s heading out, keep playing in handheld mode. A lot of parents like these because they’re so versatile! 5. Xbox One S Two Controller Bundle With the Xbox One S 1TB console he’ll get Two Xbox Wireless controllers, a 1-month trial of Xbox Game Pass and a 14-day trial of Xbox Live Gold He’ll be able to bring his games and movies to life with immersive audio through Dolby Atmos and DTS: X; Endless entertainment apps, as well as enjoy his favorite apps like YouTube, Spotify, HBO NOW, ESPN and many more. And, it’s dually awesome, because you can use it to watch 4K Blu-ray movies and stream 4K video on Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, and more as well! 6. Razor Power A5 Black Label 12 year old boys will be full of confidence when they’re scooting around the neighborhood on this! With a kick-to-start, high-torque, brushless hub motor that maintains speeds of up to 10 mph (16 km/h) for up to 40 continuous minutes of use. The maintenance free airless rear tire will smooth along the road so you can travel in total comfort – boys will love this!
What are the must have gifts for a 12 year old boy?
When you are thinking of the best gift to get for a 12 year old boy, always consider their personalities first and foremost. The 12 year old boys that are in my life like a mix of group and solo play items. Our son loves sports, but he also loves a good book or movie to sink into. My best advice would be to think of personalities and go from there with all of these great ideas!
Our nephew is just getting over being sick. What are get well gifts for a 12 year old boy?
Books, movies and any of the solo play toys would be my best gift ideas for kids that are getting over being sick.
I feel like our son’s friend has everything! What are some gifts for a 12 year old boy who has everything?
Games to play with friends are the best gifts to get for a boy who has everything- he can make it brand new by switching up the people he’s playing with – so be sure to check out our games to play with a group.