It can be hard to shop for a 9-year-old boy because they usually have a lot of interests and like different things, and they're typically all over the place with their liks and dislikes.
They might love video games, Legos, sports, and cars all at the same time – or maybe they just like one thing more than anything else. So it can be hard to know what are popular toys for 9 year old boys!
Another challenge in shopping for 9 year old boy gifts is that they are becoming more particular about what they want.
When shopping for toys for 9 year olds they probably don’t want just any toy or game – they want something that is something that they specifically love, for example, a player on a team, rather than that team.
It takes some extra effort but it’s worth it to see the look on their face when they open up a present that is exactly what they wanted, and they didn't even know that they needed!
In our search for the best gifts for a 9 year old boy we found several great ideas, both common and unusual gifts for a 9 year old boy – and, since all boys are different we've broken them into categories based on what 9 year old boys seem to love the most.
We are going to start off this collection with gift ideas for a 9 year old boy who likes sports:
Basketball Gift Ideas for a 9-Year-Old Boy:
If the 9-year-old boy you know loves basketball, there are lots of gifts and sports toys for 9 year olds. You could get him a new basketball, or a basketball hoop to put in his backyard.
He might also like some new clothes to wear when he plays, or a book about the sport.
10 gifts for 9-year-olds who love basketball:
- An outdoor or an indoor basketball for the 9-year-old boy who loves the sport.
- A new basketball hoop for the backyard
- Some new clothes to wear when playing basketball, like some Nike Elite gear.
- A book about basketball that the 9 year old boy will love to read.
- Tickets to a professional basketball game so the 9 year old can see his favorite players in person!
- A basketball jersey with his favorite player's number on it.
- Basketball shoes that he's been wishing for and will help him play his best game ever.
- A trip to a nearby amusement park that has a giant arcade where the 9 year old can play all of his favorite video games featuring basketball!
- Customized print of himself playing hoops with an amazing slam dunk – perfect for hanging on his bedroom wall!
- If you have some money to spare, why not get your 9 year old boy the newest and most popular NBA video game so he can enjoy playing as his favorite team and players all day long?
Video Game Gift Ideas for a 9-Year-Old Boy:
If the 9 year old boy you know loves video games, there are lots of great gift ideas for him too that kids love.
You could get him a new video game console, or some new games to play on his existing one. He might also appreciate a gaming chair or headset, so he can be comfortable while he plays.
10 gift ideas for a boy who loves video games:
- A new video game console
- New games for his current console
- A gaming chair
- A gaming headset
- A gift card to his favorite video game store
- A subscription to a video game magazine
- Tickets to a video game convention
- A toy car or replica weapon from his favorite video game
- A T-shirt or hat with his favorite video game logo on it
- Custom-made figurines of his favorite in-game characters
Board Games for 9-Year-Old Boys:
Board games are a great way to introduce 9-year-old boys to the concept of winning and losing, and help them learn how to handle defeat.
Playing board games is a great way for 9-year-old boys to develop their skills in a number of different areas, and as a bonus, all of these games are perfect for family game night!
One such area is learning how to win and lose. Board games often involve taking turns, so the 9-year-old boy has to wait his turn before he can make his move. This teaches him patience and how to control his emotions – both important skills for life.
Board games also teach critical thinking skills. The 9 years old boy (as well as 9-year-old girls) needs to figure out which moves will give him the best chance of winning, and which ones will put him at a disadvantage. This helps him learn how to think ahead, plan strategically, and make decisions under pressure.
Finally, board games are good for social development. Playing with others allows 9-year-old boys to learn about teamwork and cooperation, as well as how to compete fairly and respect other people’s opinions.
Here are 10 great board games for 9-year-old boys:
- Connect 4
- Shut the Box
- Tic Tac Toe
- Scrabble Junior
- Monopoly Jr.
Football Gift Ideas for 9-Year-Old Boys:
Nine year old boys love the NFL and the sport of football in general because it is an exciting and physical sport.
They enjoy watching the players play with speed, agility, and strength. Furthermore, they appreciate learning about the rules and strategy of the game.
This allows them to develop a deeper understanding of the sport and how it is played.
Ultimately, watching and learning about the NFL is a fun and informative experience for 9 year old boys, which is why they might just love some new NFL swag!
- A new football
- Tickets to a live NFL game
- A jersey or shirt of his favorite team
- A hat or cap with his favorite team's logo on it
- A football helmet
- Football cleats
- Football gloves
- A football coach's whistle
- A foam finger with his favorite team's name on it
- Custom-made bobblehead of his favorite NFL player
Nature-related Gift Ideas for 9-Year-Old Boys:
If the 9-year-old boy you know loves nature, there are lots of great gift ideas for him. You could get him a book about the natural world, or a subscription to a kids’ nature magazine. He might also like some new hiking gear, so he can explore the outdoors more comfortably.
- A book about the natural world that the 9 year old boy can immerse himself in
- A subscription to a kids’ nature magazine, like National Geographic
- Binoculars for exploring the outdoors
- A magnifying glass for taking a closer look at nature.
- A journal for recording all of the interesting things the 9-year-old boy finds while exploring nature.
- A field guide to help him identify different plants and animals he sees outdoors.
- A birdhouse or squirrel feeder to attract wildlife to his backyard.
- A weather station so he can track the conditions outside.
- A hiking backpack with all the necessary gear for a day hike.
- A camping tent for spending nights under the stars
Gift Ideas for 9-Year-Old Boys who Love Music:
If the 9 year old boy you know loves music, here are some great gift ideas for him. You could get him a new instrument, or some music lessons. He might also like a new stereo system, or some concert tickets to see his favorite band.
- A new instrument
- Music lessons
- A new stereo system
- Concert tickets to see his favorite band
- A gift card to a music store
- A T-shirt or hat with his favorite band's logo on it
- Custom-made figurines of his favorite musicians
- A subscription to a music magazine
- A toy microphone or guitar
- A CD or vinyl record of his favorite album
Gift Ideas for 9-Year-Old Boys Who Love Reading:
If the 9-year-old boy you know loves reading, here are some great gift ideas for him.
You could get him a new book, or a subscription to a kids’ reading magazine. He might also like a new bookmark, or some headphones so he can read in peace and quiet.
- A new book
- A subscription to a kids’ reading magazine
- A bookmark
- A new set of encyclopedias
- A dictionary
- A thesaurus
- A world atlas
- Books about his favorite topic or hobby
- Custom-made book covers with his name on them
STEM Gift Ideas for 9-Year-Old Boys:
STEM stands for science, technology, engineering, and mathematics. These subjects are important for 9-year-old boys to learn about. And, as a bonus, they're fun too!
Science is all about learning about the natural world around us. Technology is about using machines and computers to do different tasks. Engineering is about designing and building things. Mathematics is all about solving problems and figuring out patterns.
Encourage kids to enjoy learning all about STEM by getting them gifts that they can use at home!
- A science kit
- A technology kit
- An engineering kit
- STEM Kits
- A subscription to a STEM-focused magazine
- A microscope
- A telescope
- A Crystal Growing Kit
- A robotics building kit
- Custom-made bobblehead of his favorite scientist
What categories have we missed? Feel free to reach out with any interests that you may need some help with!
Leave a Reply