There’s just something really awesome about a great chicken noodle soup, isn’t there? It seems like everything becomes better once a great chicken noodle soup recipe is on the stovetop. In the past I have always made my chicken and noodles with the frozen egg noodles, but sometimes I find that egg noodles are too heavy for my stomach, so I tried making my chicken noodle soup with spaghetti noodles and these are SO delicious.
And, I should note that to make my chicken for this recipe (and about every recipe I used shredded chicken for) I prepare my chicken in the crockpot on low for 4-6 hours. When the chicken is finished, I shred it in a large bowl with my hand mixer. It’s a breeze and beats shredding chicken by hand any day!
Here’s how I prepare this soup:
First saute your butter and onions, add the next 6 ingredients.
Bring the mixture to a boil …
Let simmer for about 45 minutes.
Your mixture will be thick – almost like a chicken pasta casserole consistency, but …
Add your milk to make the soup a little thinner, like soup.
Let the soup sit for about 10 minutes off heat.
Give this chicken noodle soup recipe a try – I promise you’ll love it!
Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe
- 1 T butter
- 1 large onion
- 3 c. chopped cooked chicken
- 3 cans 14 1/2 oz. chicken broth
- 2 cans cream of mushroom soup
- 8 oz. spaghetti noodles broken into 2 inch pieces
- 1 t. poultry seasoning
- 2 t. lemon pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 5 celery ribs diced
- 6 medium carrots diced
- Melt butter in pot on low
- Add diced onion and saute until tender
- Stir in chicken and next 6 ingredients (or 8 if you're adding in the celery and carrots).
- Bring to a boil
- Reduce heat and simmer 45 minutes
- Stir in milk and return to simmer
- Remove from heat and let stand 10 minutes