There’s no question that magazine sales and subscriptions are on the decline. This is bad news for the major magazine publishers who rely on key ad dollars, but very good news for you and me. Here are 6 ways to save on magazines, and in many cases, get magazines for free.
1) Tap Your Rewards Programs. Do you have airline miles you won’t be using or do you have extra points on your rewards credit card? Cash them in for free magazines. With American Airlines, you can choose from over 30 magazine subscriptions that can be yours for as little as 300 frequent flyer miles.
2) Hunt for Free Subscriptions. It’s not hard to find free magazine subscriptions. I post about them regularly, and you can also find details on them at Hot Coupon World and A Full Cup. These go fast, so when you find one you want, jump on it quickly. I’ve gotten free subs to U.S. News & World Report, Shape, Self and more this way. Here are a few you can get for free now: Latina, Psychology Today, Scholastic Parent & Child and PINK.
3) Sign Up for Free Trade Magazines. Visit FreeBizMag.com or MercuryMagazines.com to sign up for free subscriptions to trade mags like eWeek and InformationWeek. Keep your eyes open because occasionally a national consumer magazine will be thrown into the mix in hopes you’ll sign up free trade magazines too.
4) Look Out for Promotions. Keep an eye out for free with purchase or deeply discounted magazine subscriptions. On Amazon.com, you can get a free subscription to Cookie magazine when you buy $25 in toys. I also posted recently on 15 magazines you can subscribe to for just $5 each, including Redbook and SmartMoney.
5) Use Coupons. That’s right, there are coupons that be can be used to buy magazines. If you’re in the check-out line and you absolutely must have this month’s issue of Vogue or Glamour, head to Shortcuts.com to add $1/1 coupons right to your store loyalty card (select grocery stores). You can even get a $2/1 printable coupon for Real Simple too, so keep your eyes open.
6) Subscribe on Cash-Back Sites. There are some magazines that are so popular that you’ll never find them discounted or for free, like Sports Illustrated. So, make sure to buy them on cash-back sites, like Ebates or BigCrumbs. As I posted earlier today, I earned 26% back when I subscribed to ShopSmart through Ebates.
Do you have any other great ways to get free magazines? I’d love to hear them!